Kung Pao Chicken
Leftover Potential: Just as good if not better than the Chinese food that comes in a box. Made 2 meals after the initial dinner.
1 lb chicken, cut into bite size pieces
salt, as needed
pepper, as needed
flour, as needed
1 Tbsp oil
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp ginger, finely sliced
10 dried chilis, split, seeded, and cut in half
1/4 cup soy sauce
5 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup water, or as needed
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Dip lightly in flour. Set aside.
2. In a large pan or a wok, heat the oil over medium heat.
3. Add the onions, and cook until translucent. Add the garlic. Stir fry for about a minute.
4. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, scallions, ginger, and dried chilis and stir fry over medium heat.
5. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil. Stir fry to create an even sauce. Add the chicken, and stir fry until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Add water as needed to thin sauce so as to coat the chicken.
6. Serve in warm bowls with rice.