I love a good taco. I am, however, a firm believer that the tortilla makes the taco. Meaning that it should be fresh, light, and most importantly: warm. And for my favorite tacos, packaged just won't cut it. Luckily, tortillas are as quick and simple to make as any basic flatbread. When you taste it, you'll know - it's always worth it.
Combined with tender, juicy pieces of steak that have spent the day marinading in a mixture of garlic and lime, it's the perfect dinner. All that's needed now is a cold beer or a margarita.
Leftover Potential: Tortillas are best the first day, but will last another couple days. If eating leftovers, reheat in an oven. All other ingredients reheat well. Provided one meal after the initial dinner.
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup water, or as needed
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Add the melted butter and mix to combine.
2. Begin adding water and mix until the dough begins to come together, adding more water as needed.
3. Let rest, covered, for 30 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into small pieces, and roll into balls.
5. Roll the dough out to 1/4" thickness.
6. Heat a small non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add a tortilla and allow to cook until browned, then flip and allow to cook on the other side. Keep covered, warm until ready to serve.
juice of three limes
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp cumin
2 Tbsp garlic, finely minced
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 # flank steak
1 Tbsp oil
1 can refried beans
cheese, grated, as needed
avocado, sliced, as needed
1. Combine lime juice and spices. Pour into a large plastic (ziploc) bag. Add whole steaks and toss to coat. Let marinate, refrigerated, for at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
2. When ready to cook the steak, heat oil in a large pan. Cook the steak until desired doneness over medium high heat.
3. Remove steak from pan, and place on a clean cutting board. Let rest.
4. Meanwhile, prepare garnishes, such as beans, cheese, avocado, cilantro, etc.
5. When well rested, slice the steak into 1/2"-3/4" slices.
6. Layer steak and garnishes on warm tortillas.