Tuesday, December 30, 2008

No More Boring Leftovers Continued: Homemade Dumplings

I love dumplings.  If you've read my previous blog, you know that the day I discovered how easy they are to make was a very happy day in my house.  And just to make the whole thing even easier, the pre-made ground meat mixture is waiting for me in the fridge when I come home.  I can take out just the right amount  to make 6, 10, or 20 dumplings depending on how many people I'm feeding. 

Paired with some frozen edamamme, it's a super simple and really delicious meal prepared in no time!

Homemade Dumplings

Served 2.
Leftover Potential: Take out just the right amount of meat so that there will be no leftovers!

Dough:
1 1/2 cups flour
pinch salt
1/2 cup water, or as needed

1.  Mix flour and salt together well.  
2.  Slowly add water, mixing dough into a smooth mixture that comes together completely.  Add more water as needed.
3.  Cover with a damp paper towel and let sit for 15 minutes.

Finishing:
soy sauce or sweet chili sauce, for dipping

1.  Roll the dough into a thin log, about 1/2" thick.  Using a knife, cut the dough into even pieces.
2.  Roll each piece of dough into a thin circle (about an 1/8" thick).  Place some filling in the center.  
3.  Dip your finger into some water, and run it around the edge of the dough.  Bring the edges together in the center, and press firmly to seal.
4.  Pan fry or steam as desired.  Pan frying will take about 4 minutes, steaming will take 3-5 minutes.  
5.  Serve with dipping sauce and salted edamamme!

No comments:

Post a Comment